Thursday, March 19, 2009

Me versus the Knee

Some days you win, some days the knee wins. Yesterday was my day. I went to see the doctor, saw my forming scar, actually managed to crutch myself around the neighbourhood without falling or writhing in pain. Minimal pain and well managed with ice packs and some Motrin. All was sunshine and light, yesterday.

Today, however, the victory went to my knee. Why? Who knows. I think the day may have been hexed from the beginning. Nate left ultra early to go open the new store, so I did a few firsts myself, which started well: washed hair, hair was clean. Made breakafast (flax waffles and half a grapefruit), ate it and it was delicious. Made coffee -- and there the trouble began. In balancing self, trying to pick up crutches and coffee and add milk I managed to pour a full cup of piping hot joe all over the floor. Naturally cleaning this up on crutches was difficult -- mainly I threw all the available dish cloths on the spill and poked them with my crutch until there was a little dry path to exit the kitchen. Then I hauled my leg up on the couch and in the process made something go "twing" in a profoundly uncomfortable way. Hobbled out, hailed a cab and got a guy who was content to chat on his cell as I struggled in (twing!), although that being said he redeemed himself by helping me out of the cab, getting the door for me AND carrying my bag in. Got to work nice and early, had a meeting and that's when the real trouble started.

A delightful discovery I've made in the past week is that while sitting on the couch with one's leg fully propped and supported is supremely comfortable, sitting in a chair with one's leg off of it (say, at the doctor's office? Or at work?) starts off fine and ends up excruciating. Today, despite taking several intervals to work standing, the pain was too much. I begged off work at 4:30, when my knee felt like it was in flames and I was near tears, as much from frustration as pain.

It SUCKS that my knee hurt so much today, when every day post-surgery has been better than the one before. It sucks because I want to be back at work, I want to not be shuffling myself into and out of cabs with no grace, and I want to be able to, you know, just kinda get around? Ugh. Anyhow, I stuffed myself into a cab (sullen, wouldn't help me with the door, jerk) and rolled home, where I iced, medded and ordered Chinese food. I'm looking forward to Nate getting home, and to starting over tomorrow. Tomorrow, I'm going to have to come up with a plan for the chair. Tomorrow, the knee doesn't win.

make breakfast (no issues), make coffee (spilled a full cup all over the floor

No comments:

Post a Comment